Sunday, August 9, 2009

If your flows Aquafina, I'm Katrina- Crooked I from Not Tonight

I have been waiting for Slaughterhouse for a little while now since I first started hearing about them earlier this year. I liked Royce Da 5'9" and Crooked I before and had heard of Joell Ortiz and Joey Budden when he had his brief stint of success with Pump It Up.

Anyway they started off dropping internet singles to keep their name up songs like Wack MCs and Fight Club and kept the internet buzz going with other longer tracks like Move On and my favorite non-album track Warriors.

Basically Slaughterhouse is a good group to listen to if you want some grimey type beats and straight spitting. Nothing really too radio friendly except MAYBE their single The One which they made a video for.

The album drops this tuesday so I thought now'd be a nice time to drop some quick thoughts on the album. Its a solid album. Really solid. Straight B status. Nothing overly special with extended metaphors, storytelling, etc but really nice lyrics from the MCs. I like Royce Da 5'9 the best out of all the rappers but I think he was outperformed on this album, hopefully he is saving the heat for his album Street Hop coming out later this year.

If I had to rank the performances, I'd definitely say Crooked I came out on top. He always has some pretty nice punchlines and such and that showed again on this album. Next was Joell Ortiz, I hadn't listened to his music before Slaughterhouse but he came strong on this. Next was Royce and he was followed by Joey.

The album has a few skits mixed in with the tracks but there are a few standouts. The opening track Sound Off is really dope. Nice beat and good lyrics. Microphone produced by the Alchemist is another strong song. Rain Drops has a nice little R & B feel with it and some powerful lyrics too. Onslaught 2 (thanks to that STRONG start from Royce) is easily one of my favorite songs on the album. Lyrical Murderers is probably the last of the top tier songs even though I could easily put in more songs into this group as well but it depends on your preference.

There are other dope songs on there too; they worked with the sample for Cut You Loose well, Salute has a great feel to it thanks to the vocals of Pharaoh Monch, Not Tonight is upbeat, and Pray (Its a Shame) is nice too.

Like I said earlier its a solid B album and good for listening to if you just want some lyrics.

No comments:

Post a Comment