Friday, May 8, 2009

Guess Whos Back, Back Again

This past week has been hectic with my sister being violently murdered and taken from my family and I this past Sunday so its been very rough. RIP Courtney.

On the music scene, I've been listening to some new things and some old new things so I'm just gonna cover them in a quick (?) fashion.

Diamond District
I read about these dudes here and there. From little bits and pieces I heard from their In The Ruff album, their debut, they have a good classic hip hop style about them. Streets Wont Let Me Chill is a really nice song. When I get around to it, I'm definitely gonna spend some time listening to their album.

Finale
A Pipe Dream and A Promise. Dope album. Great beats from great producers. He has nice lyrics as I would expect from a Detroit rapper. I have to admit and wonder if I'm alone but he is hard to hear/understand sometimes. My only beef. He has a good flow and those beats are just great. I love Motor Music and The Waiting Game (w/ Invincible).

The Cool Kids-Gone Fishin
Cannon! Brings back memories. At first when I was skipping around random songs on this mixtape I said, "Oh no, Cool Kids fell off!" After sitting down and listening all the way through, nope they definitely improved. Their flow and lyrics have definitely stepped up. Just from the intro you can tell their flow is smooth(er) and while overall I still prefer their older beats/production the ones on this tape are still dope. Art of Noise is easily my favorite track, I love that sample. I think I read somewhere that Bake Sale wasnt a stuido album so I expect their first LP to be great. Maybe 13-14 tracks from 3 to 3 1/2 min would be good for a opening LP. One thing I can guarantee is that they'll be original.

DOOM

I used to not like DOOM. His voice, I found annoying. The lyrics, I found random. The video (for All Caps), I found interesting though. My mind was made up on him when I read he was sending imposters to perform for him on stage. Then all of a sudden I gave him another chance, no homo lol. And Madvillainy blew me away. Madlib is a beast on the beats and DOOM is a monster. He is funny and he throws together rhymes effortlessly. I especially love it when he sets up a line to make you think you have it figured out and he switches it up at the end to be funny. Example: "Spit so many verses sometimes my jaw twitches/ One thing this party could use is more...Booze". Born Like This goes hard too. One spin through and I like it. Batty Boyz is dope and Gazzillion Ear is the best, J Dilla is a beast on the beats! I also got Operation Doomsday but have really only listened to the Doomsday, which I enjoy greatly. I'll listen to the rest tommorow.

Eminem
Relapse! I like the album. I like even the "wack, accent" songs. I have skipped around it but will sit down to listen to it completely soon. I also think I switched over from the Slim Shady LP to the Marshall Mathers LP. Slim Shady LP has better hit songs I think (I LOVE Guilty Conscience), but I guess I have to admit MMLP is a better album, plus you cant go wrong with Stan.

Rock The Bells
Also I think I want to go to Rock The Bells when it rolls on through Detroit. I've only been to one concert, Glow In The Dark Tour, and I missed Lupe.

The Rock the Bells tour in Detroit featuring:
Nas & Damian Marley, The Roots, Busta Rhymes, Big Boi, Reflection Eternal, Slaughterhouse, Slum Village, Tech N9ne, K'Naan, The Knux, Chali 2na

I like Nas, Damian Marley I assume is dope like his pops, I like the Roots, I guess Busta is straight, I like Big Boi, I like Talib Kweli from Reflection Eternal, I like Royce and Crooked I from Slaughterhouse, I like eLZhi from Slum Village, heard of but never heard Tech, I like K'Naan, heard of but never heard The Knux, and heard of but barely heard Chali. So I think if I went, I'd think it'd be pretty enjoyable.

Thats it. HOB up! BobbyOnes out.

No comments:

Post a Comment