Saturday, April 25, 2009

Lupe The Jedi

I got back in a while ago from seeing Obsessed with some friends. Beyonce kicked some a$$!

I also just finished listening to Madvillainy. I saw a thread on the okayplayer boards which I frequently lurk and saw a poll comparing Madvillainy to Illmatic. Yes MF Doom/Madlib are a great team but they aint beatin Nasir. Especially young, hungry, socially aware, enlightened Nasir.

I'm now in a grimey Lupe Fiasco mood. So I'm listening to Lupe The Jedi. I'm bored so I'll give a mini review of it while I'm listening. Its only 38 minutes so this wont be too bad.

Intro- Argh boring shoutouts. I dont know who these people are! I like humming the beat though.

FNF Goin Up- Everybody uses this beat it seems like. First verse- eh. Second verse- better. Third verse- Straight.

Dead Presidents Freestyle- Too hard for me to hate. I love Dead Presidents. He comes out the box with that heat "No question, you aint gotta a-s-k/ i fly through, pocket full of j-f-k's/ i rise to, the occasion like toast...". Great lyrics over a great beat.

Lu Myself- Now he uses the eminem beat (first couple of songs off of relapse have me worried). Great flow and good lyrics on this one.

The Map- I like this song. "It's Was, hot like the left side of the sink". At first I kind of skipped over this/said huh? But then another time I played it, made me think, and laugh once I realized that the hot knob is always on the left. I love the verse's constant water and sink references. He uses them excellently.

Absolute Freesytle- This song has the most plays out of any on my iTunes for Lupe The Jedi. I love the beat and the first lyrics are great to pull you in; "My mind remain on gunplay, while yall niggas sleep like Jermaine on Sunday. The heat stay packed like the train on Monday." More good references in this one as well. Flow, lyrics, beat wise easily my favorite on Lupe The Jedi.I love the "upfront with the Africans" line near the end too.

Dynasty Freestyle- This song is straight. Flow is alright. Good but not on the level of a few other songs on the disc.

Didn't You Know- I dont like this has the same name as a much better song on the Revenge of the Nerds mixtape. Joey Budden leads it off. Probably my least favorite song on the mix. Lupe a little more mainstreamish on this track.

Pop Pop- Me and Dirty Rose arent fans of the Like Liquor For Punks version of this. I'm not a fan of the this original version either. The hook is decent I suppose.

Gangsta Gangsta- The intro for this reminds me of "My World Is..." by Blu from his amazing album "Below the Heavens", which makes me smile because I love that album. Basically a Food & Liquor for the West Coast. Hard for Lu to sound wack over this beat. I enjoy the hook and the song.

Sittin Sideways Freestyle- Last track. Longest track. Good song. Then I realized the lyrics sounded familiar. Very familiar. Then I checked and yup its the same as Titled Pt. 3 from Revenge of the Nerds. But it has a Jay Z verse stuck in there.

Well thats it. Hopefully the Eagles dont disappoint me tomorrow/today in the draft. Hopefully Conner Barwin (U of D alumni stand up!) goes to a decent team and has a good career. And hopefully you read future enteries. HOB first mixtape coming this summer.

HOB up! BobbyOnes out.

No comments:

Post a Comment